Summer nights are the perfect time to relax and unwind with family and friends. One great way to create a cozy and inviting atmosphere is by building a round firepit area in your backyard. Whether you want to roast marshmallows, tell stories, or simply enjoy the warmth of the fire, a firepit area can be a wonderful addition to your outdoor space.
Why choose a round firepit?
A round firepit adds a touch of elegance and symmetry to your backyard. It creates a focal point that brings people together and encourages conversation. The circular shape also allows for better heat distribution, ensuring that everyone sitting around the fire can enjoy its warmth.
Choosing the right location
Before starting the construction of your firepit area, it’s important to choose the right location. Look for a spot that is away from any overhanging trees or structures that could catch fire. You should also consider the prevailing wind direction to avoid smoke blowing towards your seating area. Additionally, ensure that there is enough space for seating and walking around the firepit.
Gathering the materials
To build your firepit area, you will need the following materials:
- Fire bricks or concrete blocks
- Gravel or sand
- Paver stones or natural stones
- Fire pit ring or metal fire pit bowl
- Shovel and leveling tools
- Firewood or fire logs
Building the firepit
1. Start by marking the desired diameter of your firepit area using a string or spray paint. Dig a shallow circular trench along the marked line.
2. Fill the trench with gravel or sand to create a stable base for your firepit.
3. Lay the fire bricks or concrete blocks in a circle, stacking them securely. Ensure that they are level and stable.
4. Place the fire pit ring or metal fire pit bowl in the center of the circle. If using a fire pit ring, make sure it is securely positioned.
5. Fill the gaps between the bricks or blocks with sand or gravel to provide additional stability.
6. Surround the firepit area with paver stones or natural stones to create a seating area. Leave enough space for chairs and a small table.
When using your firepit, it’s essential to follow safety precautions:
- Keep a fire extinguisher or a bucket of water nearby.
- Never leave the fire unattended.
- Keep children and pets at a safe distance.
- Do not use flammable liquids to start the fire.
- Ensure that the fire is completely extinguished before leaving the area.
Building a round firepit area in your backyard can provide endless enjoyment during summer nights. It creates a cozy and inviting atmosphere for relaxation and socializing. By following the steps outlined in this article and taking the necessary safety precautions, you can create a beautiful and functional firepit area that will be the highlight of your outdoor space.